lunes, 5 de octubre de 2026

Sometimes We Take for Granted That the Person We Love Will Always Be There




Sometimes we take for granted that the person we love will still be there tomorrow.

Tomorrow we’ll talk.
Tomorrow we’ll watch that movie together.
Tomorrow we’ll put the phone away.
Tomorrow we’ll ask how they’re feeling.
Tomorrow we’ll have time.

And we live as though time has an obligation to wait for us.

But it doesn’t.

There are people who would give anything to have one more conversation they once postponed, to hear a voice they can no longer call, or to spend five more minutes with someone they thought would always be there.

Maybe that’s why loving someone should mean more than simply staying by their side.

Because we can share a room and still be miles apart.

We can sleep in the same bed and still feel alone.

We can hold someone’s hand while our mind is somewhere else.

We can say “I love you” countless times and, without even realizing it, forget to stop and look that person in the eyes.

Being There Doesn’t Always Mean Being Present

We live surrounded by things competing for our attention.

Our phones.
Work.
Social media.
Games.
The news.
Our worries.

None of those things are necessarily bad.

We all need moments to unwind, rest our minds, and have space of our own.

The problem begins when we offer someone our physical presence while our attention constantly belongs somewhere else.

Because the person beside us may begin to wonder:

“If we’re finally together, why do I still feel alone?”

And perhaps the other person hasn’t even realized it.

They may be thinking: “But I’m right here with you.”

And that may be completely true.

This is where one of love’s paradoxes appears: two people can love each other and experience the very same moment in completely different ways.

For one person, sitting quietly together may be a beautiful expression of intimacy.

For the other, that same silence may feel like distance.

One may think they are giving space.

The other may be longing for companionship.

One may believe that gently stroking someone’s hair while looking at their phone means, “I’m here with you.”

The other may be thinking, “I wish you would put everything aside for a few minutes and truly be here with me.”

Neither of them has necessarily stopped loving the other.

Perhaps they simply speak different emotional languages.


Love Can’t Read Minds Either

There is another truth that can sometimes be difficult to accept.

No matter how much someone loves us, they won’t always know what we need.

We hope they’ll notice.

That they’ll see it on our face.

That they’ll hear it in our silence.

That they’ll realize we’re sick, tired, worried, or sad.

We think: “If they really know me, they should know.”

But truly knowing another person takes time.

And loving someone also means learning to say: “Today I need you to be with me.”

“Hold me.”

“I don’t want solutions; I just want you to listen.”

“Put your phone down for a moment and talk to me.”

“I don’t feel well. Today I need you to take care of me.”

Asking for what we need doesn’t make love any less genuine.

But neither should we have to spend our lives handing someone an instruction manual for every small gesture of affection.

A healthy relationship probably needs both: communication to express our needs, and enough attention to begin recognizing those needs without always having to be told.


In Sickness and in Health

There are moments that reveal a great deal about our relationships.

Illness is one of them.

When someone feels vulnerable, they may not need grand gifts, romantic speeches, or extraordinary solutions.

Sometimes they need something much simpler: a glass of water,

a hand on their forehead,

a sincere question,

an “I’ll take care of it,”

or simply the feeling that they don’t have to go through that moment alone.

Because loving someone on the good days is usually easy.

There is laughter, travel, photographs, celebrations, and plans.

But love also lives in uncomfortable nights, in exhaustion, in a messy room, in someone who doesn’t feel well, and in those moments when caring for another person doesn’t look romantic enough for a photograph.

And perhaps it is precisely there that love takes on one of its most beautiful forms:

“Rest. I’m here.”


Gifts Are Beautiful, but Time Can’t Be Wrapped

We can give flowers, jewelry, trips, and wonderful things.

We can write “I love you” every day.

All of those things have value.

But there is something no gift can replace: presence.

The time someone chooses to give us is a piece of their life they will never get back.

Perhaps that’s why, every once in a while, we should ask ourselves:

When was the last time I put everything aside and truly listened to the person I love?

When was the last time I looked at them without a screen between us?

When was the last time I asked, “How are you?” and stayed long enough to hear the real answer?


Because We Don’t Know How Much Time We Have

Maybe tomorrow we’ll have another chance.

We probably will.

But one day, we won’t.

And when that day comes, we are unlikely to wish we had spent more time looking at a screen.

We’ll wish for another conversation.

Another hug.

Another simple dinner.

Another drive together.

Another movie we may not have even finished watching.

Five more minutes listening to that voice.

So while we still can, it is worth stopping for a moment.

Looking at the person beside us.

Listening.

Asking.

Holding them.

Talking.

And also learning to say what we need.

Because love isn’t only about saying: “I’m here.”

Sometimes love also needs to say: “I’m here, and right now, I’m here with you.”

Let’s not take for granted that the person we love will always be there.

Today, they are still here.

And today, we can still choose to be present.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

A veces damos por sentado que tendremos a esa persona amada

A veces damos por sentado que tendremos a esa persona amada mañana. Mañana hablaremos. Mañana veremos esa película juntos. Mañana dejaremos ...