The heart beats.
Once.
Again.
And again.
It doesn’t need to know anything about music to keep its rhythm. It doesn’t read sheet music, it has never studied notes, and it knows nothing about chords.
It simply beats.
And as long as it does, it keeps us alive.
Perhaps that is why I have always believed that music doesn’t necessarily begin with an instrument. Sometimes, it begins long before that.
It begins within us.
I never studied music.
I can’t sit in front of a musical score and understand it the way someone who has spent years studying music can.
And yet, I have written songs.
Sometimes, something even more curious happens.
Suddenly, a melody appears in my mind.
I wasn’t looking for it.
I wasn’t trying to compose anything.
It simply arrives.
And then I begin to hum.
Hmm… hmm… la-la-la…
For a few moments, there is a song that doesn’t have a name yet. It may not even have words, but somehow, it is already playing inside me.
And that made me wonder:
Where is music truly born?
Perhaps music theory teaches us to understand it.
Instruments allow us to play it.
Our voices allow us to express it.
But perhaps music begins long before any of those things.
First Came the Rhythm
Before we ever heard our first song, there was already a sound accompanying us.
The heart.
Thump-thump. Thump-thump. Thump-thump.
A tiny instrument working day and night, never asking for applause.
When we are calm, it finds its own steady rhythm.
When we are afraid, it races.
When someone we love appears, it seems to forget for a moment how it is supposed to behave.
And when we are overwhelmed with emotion, sometimes it feels as though it wants to leap right out of our chest.
Our heart doesn’t simply respond to life.
It keeps the rhythm of being alive.
Maybe that is why music has such an extraordinary ability to touch us.
A song can take us somewhere we thought we had forgotten.
It can bring back a person.
A home.
A goodbye.
A love.
A version of ourselves that no longer exists.
Just a few notes, and suddenly, we are there again.
You Don’t Have to Be a Musician to Feel Music
For a long time, we have associated creativity with knowledge.
We think we must first study, master a technique, and somehow earn an invisible permission before we are allowed to create.
But art doesn’t always work that way.
Sometimes we feel first.
Then we create.
And much later, we learn how to explain what we created.
I may not know the technical name for a sequence of notes, but I can hear it inside me.
I can hum it.
I can feel when it needs to rise, when it needs to rest, and when a word simply doesn’t belong there.
That may not replace studying music—because learning can always help us grow—but it doesn’t make what comes naturally from within us any less real.
Because knowing how a song is constructed is one thing. Having something to say through that song is something entirely different.
We All Carry a Song Within Us
Some people write it.
Some sing it.
Some dance to it.
And some simply listen.
But I think we all know what it feels like to discover a song and suddenly think:
“This says exactly what I was feeling, but I didn’t know how to put it into words.”
Something beautiful happens in that moment.
One person’s heart created something that eventually found its way to another person’s heart.
Perhaps that is one of the reasons human beings have continued making music generation after generation.
Because sometimes words are not enough.
So we sing.
Because there are emotions we don’t know how to explain.
So we hum.
Because some memories are simply too big to keep in silence.
So a melody appears.
And as long as our hearts continue to go…
thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…
there will be rhythm.
As long as we have something to feel, there will be stories.
And as long as there are stories inside us waiting to come out, there will be songs.
Because perhaps music doesn’t begin on a sheet of paper.
Perhaps it begins in that small place inside our chest that has been with us from the very beginning.
Music is born in the heart.
And as the heart continues to beat, it keeps singing the oldest song of all:
the song of being alive.

No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario